2007-09-23

Another Week Almost Over

Hello my dear friends

Another week is almost over and I haven't had so much time to write about what happened. Hopefully, I'll describe everything right now.

I'll start with Sunday, the party. At the beginning it seemed the organization would be as poor as the preceding. We got our wristbands, we headed off, nobody had clue where to go. We got to Sadler Gate, a street in the city centre which is supposed to be the best place for night life. Well, all the clubs that were open at that time were expensive and played shit. But yeah, I and Kate tried our best to enjoy the night as much as possible.

Next day the rush started. Today is the first day I can actually sit for more than an hour and I don't have to run somewhere else. Monday was fine. We were to the Meeting Place at St Alkmund's for the first time. It was originally formed for the Chinese people to help them settle in, but later it became meeting place for various international students. Although I like churches more from the outside, apart from saying grace before meal nobody really started with the Christian stuff. We had loads of pizza (I forgot to mention that it was a Pizza Party), salads, sweets, yummy And also we made new friends and were forced to speak English, that is what I missed so much back in Prague. The next Meeting Place is set for tomorrow - we're going BBQ!

On Tuesday we started attending history events (remember my subject The Atlantic World - I'm a history student now). The first trip was to Kedleston Hall, an estate a couple of miles away of the Uni. You can find the pictures at http://picasaweb.google.com/marinov.jane/20070918. It was really nice trip and if the wind was not freezing cold, I would really enjoy that. After coming back to Derby we went for a beer with all the students (you can see them in that album I posted above) to make friends with each other. They are very friendly.

In the evening we went with some of them (Andrew and Nick, they are close above me in the group pictures) to the club First Floor. Finally something for me. If I ever said Hvezda was perfect, First Floor is heaven. They actually played Nine Inch Nails, P.O.D., Korn and more . I really felt like I'm going to die with joy. Definitely not the last time I've gone there.

Wednesday continued with history. We went through Derby and the museum, but than we decided rather to go shopping and to settle a couple things at Keddie Rd Campus. In the Evening I finally got my Unibus vouchers so I don't have to walk everywhere and I can go by bus for free (Czech nationality plus Jewish ancestor, what would you expect).

On Thursday we went for a trip to Peak District. Pictures to be found here - http://picasaweb.google.com/marinov.jane/20070920. I and Katie went there with Jana (wrote about her already), Pavel and Anka, Jana's flatmates and Lucka, also last year's Erasmus student who came for a visit. We bought a zigzag ticket (basically a one-day-ticket) so we could travel to various places. We started in Matlock Bath and climbed up to the Heights of Abraham. "Heights" is definitely the right word 'coz I thought I would die after the first half of the walk. Then we moved to Matlock, and then to Bakewell. It was too late for the museum, but at least we went through the church. Than we had the world famous Bakewell pudding (we found out that it is world famous about two hours before we arrived to Bakewell) - about two mouthfuls are really nice, then you start feeling your teeth are going to explode and then you end up oversugared. But after all, the whole trip was really great, another part of England that I've colored in my map of the UK (I it my tradition to highlight all the towns and cities I went through when I am in the UK and it starts to be really colorful ).

That will be about all for now, I'll write more as soon as I process all the pictures from yesterday.

Hugs and kisses.

Mary

Žádné komentáře:

Okomentovat